Bilingual message – Message bilingue
Attached is an overview of the Ministers’ Mandate letters provided to us by Impact Public Affairs highlighting areas of particular interest to CFLA-FCAB and our members. We will be contacting the Ministers in the coming weeks with our positions in a number of these areas.
Vous trouverez ci-joint un aperçu des lettres de mandat des ministres qui nous ont été fournies par Impact Affaires Publiques, soulignant les domaines d’intérêt particulier pour la FCAB-CFLA et nos membres. Nous prendrons contact avec les ministres dans les semaines à venir pour discuter nos positions par rapport de ces domaines.
L’annexe envoyée est actuellement disponible en anglais seulement, désolé de tout inconvénient.
Katherine McColgan, CAE
Executive Director — Directrice générale
Canadian Federation of Library Associations
Fédération canadienne des associations de bibliothèque
75 rue Jolicoeur, Gatineau QC, J8Y 1A8
CFLA-FCAB recognizes the Algonquin peoples as the traditional custodians of the land in which our office is located.
La FCAB-CFLA reconnaît les Algonquins comme les gardiens traditionnels des terres dans lesquelles se trouve notre secrétariat.
Minister of Northern Affairs Mandate Letter
As Minister of Northern Affairs, you will lead the Government’s work to create more economic opportunity and a higher quality of life in the North of Canada, while also acting in support of our sovereignty and national interest. This includes strengthening the relationship with the Territorial governments and advancing policy and programs that support Northerners
- Work with the Minister of Foreign Affairs and other Ministers as necessary to implement the Arctic and Northern Policy Framework to create a future where Northern and Arctic people are thriving, strong and safe.
- Give consideration to the recommendations to come from the Task Force on post-secondary education in Canada’s Arctic and Northern regions as announced in Budget 2019 as appropriate and relevant to the federal government and Indigenous communities in order to establish a robust system of post-secondary education in the North
Minister of Infrastructure and Communities Mandate Letter
As Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, you will lead work to implement the Government’s historic Investing in Canada Plan. This includes working directly with provincial, territorial and municipal governments, as well as Indigenous communities, as federal investments in social, green and public transit infrastructure move forward.
- Continue to work with other Members of Parliament to implement the Investing in Canada Plan. Your focus must be on the successful, timely delivery of our growth-generating investments in public transit, green infrastructure and social infrastructure, as well as key strategic infrastructure that will increase trade. The key objectives of this plan are increasing economic growth and creating good middle class jobs with infrastructure that improves people’s quality of life.
- Work with the Minister of Indigenous Services to co-develop and invest in distinctions-based community infrastructure plans, and move forward with addressing critical needs including housing, all-weather roads, high-speed internet, health facilities, treatment centres and schools in First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities by 2030. These plans should also include new investments to support the operation and maintenance of this infrastructure.
Minister of Public Services and Procurement Mandate Letter
As Minister of Public Services and Procurement, you will ensure services within your portfolio, including those internal to government, are delivered at a high standard and in an efficient manner. You will oversee the procurement processes of government so that they reflect modern best practices, lessons learned and value for money.
- Continue to implement a new vision for Canada Post to ensure it provides the high-quality service that Canadians expect at a reasonable price. The Minister for Women and Gender Equality and Rural Economic Development will support you in improving Canada Post services in rural and remote areas.
- Working with the Minister of Canadian Heritage and the Minister of Indigenous Services leverage the expertise of the Translation Bureau to help preserve, protect and revitalize First Nations, Inuit and Métis languages by increasing the availability of translation and interpretation services.
President of the Treasury Board Mandate Letter
As President of the Treasury Board, you will lead the management agenda of the Government and oversee the implementation and effective delivery of Cabinet-approved initiatives. You will continue the Government’s work to instill a culture of evaluation, measurement and evidence-based decisions in program and policy design and delivery. A key element of this will be working with me in ensuring a strong Public Service. You will be working with me in supporting our broad agenda, and so I would ask you and the Treasury Board Secretariat to actively support the implementation of mandate letter commitments across the Ministry.
- Work with the Clerk of the Privy Council and with me to ensure that the Public Service of Canada recruits and retains talented people from communities across Canada. Canada’s professional Public Service is one of the best in the world; it needs the right resources and the right people to continue to serve Canadians well. This includes working with the Public Service Commission to reduce the time it takes to hire new public servants, with the goal of cutting in half the average time from ten to five months
Minister of Canadian Heritage Mandate Letter
As Minister of Canadian Heritage, you will lead work to celebrate Canada’s heritage as well as promote Canada’s cultural and creative industries in both Official Languages. This vital position helps bring Canadians together and strengthens the fabric of our country and communities. You are also responsible for the promotion and support of amateur sport, supporting our athletes as they represent Canada and encouraging young people to be active and engaged in sports.
- Work with all cultural and creative sectors on the successful delivery of initiatives and new funding announced in previous Budgets
- Continue to fully implement the Indigenous Languages Act in order to preserve, promote and revitalize Indigenous languages in Canada, with long-term predictable and sufficient funding to support the implementation of the Act.
- Work with the Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry in reviewing the Copyright Act.
Minister of Finance Mandate Letter
As Minister of Finance, you will continue to lead the Government’s work to grow the economy in a way that works for all Canadians, with continued focus on strengthening the middle class and helping those people working hard to join it. This includes immediately launching a Budget 2020 process that works with Parliament to begin the implementation of our election platform. You will support the Minister of Middle Class Prosperity and Associate Minister of Finance with her new mandate. You will also be working with me in supporting our broad agenda, and so I would ask you and your department to actively support the implementation of mandate commitments across the Ministry.
- Maintain four key principles for the implementation of our fiscal plan:
- Continue to reduce the Government’s debt as a function of our economy;
- Continue to build confidence in Canada’s economy by preserving our AAA credit rating;
- Continue to invest in people and in the things that give people a better quality of life; and
- Preserve fiscal firepower in the event that we need to respond to an economic downturn.
- Support the Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations and the Minister of Indigenous Services in developing a new fiscal relationship with Indigenous Peoples.
Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Disability Inclusion Mandate Letter
As Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Disability Inclusion, you will help Canadians get the skills they need for good quality jobs, and will develop measures that maximize labour force participation. You will have carriage of the Employment Insurance program. You will lead the Disability Inclusion file, implementing our Disability Equality Statement.
Minister of Indigenous Services Mandate Letter
As Minister of Indigenous Services, you will work to ensure a consistent, high-quality and distinctions-based approach to the delivery of services to Indigenous Peoples. In parallel, you will work with the Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations on capacity building to bring control of and jurisdiction for service delivery back to Indigenous communities.
- Supported by the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, work to co-develop and invest in distinctions-based community infrastructure plans, and move forward with addressing critical needs including housing, all-weather roads, high-speed internet, health facilities, treatment centres and schools in First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities by 2030. These plans should also include new investments to support the operation and maintenance of this infrastructure.
- Ensure that First Nations, Inuit and Métis students have the support they need to access and succeed at post-secondary education.
Minister of Crown Indigenous Relations Mandate Letter
As Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations, you will continue the work to renew the nation-to-nation, Inuit-Crown and government-to-government relationship between Canada and Indigenous Peoples. This includes continuing to modernize our institutional structure and governance so that First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples can build capacity that supports implementation of their vision of self-determination.
Minister of Diversity and Inclusion and Youth Mandate Letter
As Minister of Diversity and Inclusion and Youth, you will support the Government’s work to build a country where every person has equal opportunity to succeed, championing the full breadth of Canada’s vibrant diversity and advancing greater inclusion. This will include leading the multiculturalism and anti-racism programs and activities within Canadian Heritage and assuming responsibilities from me for policies and programs in support of LGBTQ2 and Youth.
- Make new investments in research, support and employment projects for visible minority newcomer women, with support from the Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Disability Inclusion.
Minister for Women and Gender Equality and Rural Economic Development Mandate Letter
As Minister for Women and Gender Equality, I expect you to drive systemic change that promotes a fairer and more productive society for women by improving quality of life, advancing leadership and addressing gender-based violence. You will lead a coordinated whole-of-government approach to promote a greater understanding of the intersection of sex and gender with other factors, which will result in more responsive federal policies and programs that systematically consider the needs of different groups of people, including men and boys. As Minister of Rural Economic Development, you will champion economic opportunity, quality of life and middleclass job creation in rural Canada. You will continue to ensure that a rural lens is applied to policy issues in these areas.
- Work with the Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry to increase high-speed broadband coverage in rural Canada by leading the rollout of existing investments, developing and implementing programming towards further improvements and ensuring that investments by the Government of Canada, provincial and territorial partners and the private sector are coordinated to best prepare rural Canada for success in the digital economy.
- Lead the rollout of rural infrastructure investments and implementation, in addition to supporting the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities as part of the overall Investing in Canada Plan.
- Lead work directly with rural communities to address barriers to timely delivery of infrastructure investments and ensure transparent information for citizens.
- Support the Minister of Families, Children and Social Development to ensure that social infrastructure investments are meeting the economic needs of rural communities, including affordable housing, early learning and childcare and the delivery of Service Canada programming.
- Support the Minister of Public Services and Procurement to improve Canada Post services in rural and remote areas.
- Support the Minister of Economic Development and Official Languages in the delivery of strategic investments by the Regional Development Agencies focused on rural economic development.
Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry Mandate Letter
As Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry, you will continue to help Canadian businesses innovate and grow so that they can create good quality jobs and wealth for Canadians. The new Innovation Superclusters Initiative is an anchor of this work. You will also take steps to support consumer choice and competition to make life more affordable for middle class families. The full responsibilities for science are in your portfolio, including the relationship with the post-secondary research community and the integration of scientific considerations in the Government’s decision-making processes, as well as the transformation of science into commercially successful innovation, new economic opportunities and the industries of tomorrow.
- work with the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, the Minister for Women and Gender Equality and Rural Economic Development and the Minister of Canadian Heritage to deliver high-speed internet to 100 per cent of Canadian homes and businesses by 2030.
- Work with the Minister of Canadian Heritage to review the Copyright Act.