Hill Strategies: Arts Attendance and COVID-19
Insights into the potential return of audiences to cultural activities, based on recent Canadian reports, including the Ontario Arts Council COVID-19 Audience Outlook Monitor.
For galleries and museums:
- 30% of previous gallery and museum visitors expect to visit immediately after galleries and museums reopen. In terms of safety precautions, these early returning respondents are predominantly looking for physical distancing (45%), followed by masks (24%).
- 15% plan to return to galleries and museums between one and five months after they reopen. These respondents are also predominantly looking for physical distancing (53%), followed by masks (37%).
- 12% plan to wait six months or more before attending galleries and museums. Most of these respondents are looking for a vaccine (51%), followed by those who are looking for physical distancing (33%) and masks (25%).
- 42% of gallery and museum visitors are unsure when they will return to these activities. Of those who are unsure, 37% would feel comfortable if physical distancing were in place, and 21% are waiting for a vaccine.
- 1% of gallery and museum visitors indicate that they will never return to these venues.