Preparing for the journey to recovery
Facing an unprecedented financial crisis that could last for years, here are six things that every municipality needs to do right now.
“1. Model the worst-case scenario for revenue resumption, because that is the likely scenario.
2. Build flexibility into your tax payments.
3. Do a quick core service review, making the hard decisions about non-essential services and service levels.
4. Get a group working on an economic damage assessment of your municipality.
5. Do a workforce assessment and prepare for a changed labour market.
6. Start having an honest conversation with your community about what this means in the long term.”