March 23, 2020
Ontario Premier Doug Ford has just announced that he will be ordering the mandatory closure of all non-essential workplaces, effective Tuesday, March 24th at 11:59 p.m. and extending for 14 days.
The list of businesses that are permitted to stay open will be released tomorrow.
- The government is prepared to extend this order as the situation evolves.
- A 1-800 number and website will be made available on Wednesday for any inquiries.
- Premier Ford also stated that kids will not be going back to school on April 6. Minister of Education Stephen Lecce is monitoring the situation and will provide additional details.
- Finance Minister Rod Phillips said that the economic assessment being released Wednesday, March 25th will be “the most prudent statement” any finance minister has ever made and it will reflect the best economic advice.
- Earlier today, the Ontario government announced that they are providing $200 million in social services relief funding. The funding will assist municipalities and social service providers like shelters, food banks, emergency services, charities and non-profits.
- On the weekend, the Ontario Government launched Ontario Together, a new website that invites help from businesses and organizations who can supply emergency products and innovative solutions to support the government’s response to COVID-19.