The Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs has released its report on its COVID-19 impact hearings for the Culture & Heritage sector.
Libraries receive a section in the report, and FOPL/OLA recommendations are accurately reflected.
In terms of the report itself, library support (whether for operating funds or broadband) is not included on the list of the 7 recommendations from the committee itself – all of which are specifically related to MHSTCI actions or Federal funding so MOI infrastructure funding seems to be beyond the scope of what they were looking to recommend.
However, both the Ontario Liberal and Green Party express their support for the creation of an Ontario Digital Library, and the Green Party includes support for broadband funding as well.
Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs
Third Interim Report: Economic Impact of COVID-19 on Culture and Heritage
The PDF is attached.
- This document presents the Committee’s findings and recommendations following its study of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic shutdown on Ontario’s culture and heritage sector.
- It reflects the testimony received during public hearings held online on June 25, 26, 29, and 30, 2020, as well as written submissions received by the Committee Clerk as of 6:00 p.m. on July 6, 2020.
- Includes many umbrella organizations for dance, theatre, visual arts, publishing, and more; artists and arts and culture organizations, arts councils and galleries, magazine and book publishers, libraries, tourism organizations, sports organizations, municipalities, venues; animation, film and television companies; museums, heritage sites and organizations; film, theatre, music, dance and other festivals, and many more.
- The Committee also heard from Ontario’s “Big 8” culture and heritage powerhouses.
- PROBLEM: While Ontario’s culture and heritage sector quickly pivoted to online programming with the creativity and innovation that is its hallmark, the COVID-19 shutdown was still devastating to this sector, causing an abrupt loss of revenue streams and employment.
- Recommendations given towards the end of the document