New Report from the UK: “Public Libraries, The Case for Support”
At a Parliamentary event at the House of Lords today [October 15, 2019], The Big Issue and Library Champion Bobby Seagull will join forces with CILIP, the UK library association, to make the case for long-term sustainable funding for libraries.
The event, which will be attended by Members of Parliament, Member of the House of Lords and senior Civil Servants, will focus on the launch of two new campaign documents:
- A new joint CILIP/The Big Issue report Public Libraries: The Case for Support, which brings together for the first time the best currently-available evidence of the positive impact of libraries on their users, communities, locality and local economy, alongside stories from library users about their experiences and;
- A new 10-point Manifesto for Libraries, produced by Library Champion Bobby Seagull and CILIP, setting out the call for Government to recognise the wider value of libraries and librarians in areas such as health, education, business and policymaking.
Public Libraries: The Case for Support draws on research and evidence from the British Library, Carnegie UK Trust, CIPFA and others to highlight the transformative impact of public libraries on:
- Place-shaping and inclusive economic growth
- Education, informal learning and skills
- Health, wellbeing and social care
- Digital skills and getting online
- Enterprise and business support
- Poverty prevention, social mobility and social isolation.
Direct to Full Text Report: Public Libraries: The Case for Support 28 pages; PDF.”