Federation of Ontario Public Libraries

Useful fingertip factoid: Culture represents 3.6 % of the Ontario economy and is growing.

Public Libraries are in the culture sector

For comparative purposes, Manufacturing is about 4% of GDP in Canada and the auto industry is about 1%.

“Ontario

Ontario’s culture GDP rose 1.4% to $25.7 billion in 2016. This accounted for 3.5% of the total provincial economy. Sound recording (+11.9%) had the fastest growth of all the domains in Ontario.

There were 269,082 culture jobs in Ontario in 2016. This was a 0.4% decrease from the previous year, compared with a 1.3% gain in total jobs for the provincial economy.

Sport GDP totalled $2.8 billion in 2016, up 3.7% from the previous year. Sport jobs in Ontario increased 2.2% to 45,495.”

Released: 2018-02-27

The Provincial and Territorial Culture Indicators are timely estimates of the economic contribution of culture and sport in Canada. In 2016, culture gross domestic product (GDP) and sport GDP combined for a total of $60.3 billion and equated to over 765,000 jobs in Canada. The largest contributors to culture GDP and jobs were the audio-visual and interactive media and the visual and applied arts domains, which include, among others, activities related to design, broadcasting, and film and video. For sport, the largest component was organized sport activities, including the hosting of sporting events.

Culture GDP in Canada totalled $53.8 billion in 2016, a 1.5% increase from the previous year, while economy-wide GDPincreased 1.8%. Culture accounted for 2.8% of Canada’s overall GDP. The importance of culture varied considerably across provinces and territories, ranging from a share of 1.3% of GDP in Saskatchewan to 3.5% in Ontario.

At the national level, culture GDP increased in most domains in 2016, led by sound recording (+7.3%). The only decrease was in the written and published works domain (-2.8%), which declined for the fourth consecutive year.

Culture jobs in Canada were up 2.2% to 652,406, while economy-wide jobs grew 1.1% in 2016. Culture jobs accounted for 3.5% of all jobs in the economy. Regionally, culture jobs as a share of total economy jobs ranged from 1.8% in Nunavut to 4.0% in British Columbia.

All domains contributed to culture job growth in Canada in 2016.

Sport GDP rose 3.2% in 2016, totalling $6.5 billion and representing 0.3% of the total economy. The GDP of all sport domains grew with the exception of informal sport, which declined 0.2%.

Sport jobs increased 4.9% in Canada in 2016 as gains were recorded in all domains except informal sport (-1.5%). Sport jobs accounted for 0.6% of total jobs in Canada, while on a regional level sport jobs as a proportion of total jobs ranged from 0.3% to 0.9%.”

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/180227/dq180227a-eng.htm