Federation of Ontario Public Libraries
Position: Administrative Assistant – Part-time (3 days/week)
The Federation of Ontario Public Libraries is a not-for-profit member organization which was launched in 2005 to provide a single, strong voice for the public libraries of Ontario to advance library policies and programs through four strategic pillars: advocacy, marketing, research and development, and consortium purchasing.
This position presents the opportunity for a dynamic individual to contribute to the development of an organization that has an important public interest mandate.
The Administrative Assistant will report directly to the Federation’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and will be responsible for oversight of FOPL’s web presence as well as providing administrative and clerical services to the CEO, Federation’s Board of Directors, Task Forces and Committees, in an effective and efficient manner.
- Provides administrative support to ensure that operations are maintained in an effective, up-to-date and accurate manner.
- Basic office bookkeeping (AR, AP, expense tracking, financial reporting, payroll) for an office of two people.
- Prepares and delivers the agenda packages for meetings of the Board, Task Forces and general membership of the Federation, and attends and takes minutes of same
- Prepares correspondence, types reports and minutes, and distributes accordingly
- Manages membership records and fees, and serves as a point of contact for members
- Updates the website, social media, and membership discussion lists
- Maintains office files – both electronic and paper, including those confidential in nature
- Organizes special events and the Federation’s presence at conferences
- Maintains office calendar and coordinates the dates of various meetings
- Oversees purchasing activities in relation to office supplies, all equipment and furniture
- Opens and distributes mail
- Provides support to CEO, Board of Directors, Board Executive, Task Force Chairs and Committees to ensure decisions can be made effectively.
- Assists CEO with financial matters including but not limited to membership renewals, data gathering for budget preparation, developing Request For Proposals, and contract monitoring
- Conducts research, prepares correspondence, writes, edits, and prepares reports as required
- Researches and assists with preparation of motions, policies and procedures
- Acts as a liaison with various government agencies and public libraries
- Provides technical and software support to the CEO as required.
- Distributes correspondence to members and gathers feedback for key issues of the Federation.
- Researches, implements and troubleshoots new technologies.
- Coding (CSS & HTML/XML) as required for organizational website.
- Manages and creates content, acts as social media community manager on Twitter, Facebook, etc. and on the organization’s forum.
- Creates and manages metadata on FOPL website.
- Plans and rolls-out technologies which allow FOPL to better communicate and interact with their membership.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
The preferred minimum qualifications and experience are as follows:
- Community college certificate or diploma.
- Minimum of 2 years experience working in administrative support.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with staff, board members, volunteers and the public.
- Work experience in a not-for-profit member-based organization and/or a public library environment.
- Experience with basic office administration and small business accounting software (e.g. Simply Accounting).
- Strong skills/knowledge in computer applications and software for word processing, spreadsheets, databases, PowerPoint, Internet, email and social networking.
- Desirable: Graphics design skills, AdobeConnect web conferencing, Adobe Acrobat
- Good communication skills.
- Status: Part-time – 3 days (21 hours)/week
- Remuneration: $28.50/hour, depending on qualifications and experience
- Location: Toronto
- Closing Date: Tuesday, November 1, 2016 @ 4:00 p.m.
HOW TO APPLY:
Résumés and related documents must be received in electronic format and addressed to:
Stephen Abram, Chief Executive Officer
Federation of Ontario Public Libraries
We thank all applicants for their interest, but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews are expected in the week of Nov. 7, 2016.