FOPL is excited to announce that registration is open for members and non-members for our series of webinars and teleconferences to build our sector’s capacity for influence and advocating for the value of public libraries.
Registration is required – Please Click Here
Influencing Skills: Advocacy for Public Libraries
Free FOPL Member Training Series
Let’s be prepared! Over the next year we will have a great opportunity to communicate the value of public libraries in our communities and province. The 2014 provincial and municipal elections in Ontario will be held on October 27, 2014. Voters in our province will elect MPPs’, mayors, councillors, school board trustees and all other elected officials in Ontario. This creates a great opportunity to focus our attention on positioning the impact and value of public libraries in Ontario.
• Is your whole library team – staff, management and trustees – empowered with the best training and strategies to positively influence the position of public libraries in the public forum?
• Do you have all of the tools, talking points, research and information you need to communicate with power and influence?
• Do you have a plan? Polished strategies? Great relationships and networks?
The Federation of Ontario Public Libraries has developed a 4 month training program for public library management, staff, and trustees to build our library community’s skills and muscle to speak and influence effectively about the wonderful role we play in Ontario’s culture, economy and society. This will be:
• A series of webinars and teleconferences with respected leaders in our profession
• Based on the voice of experience and best practices
• Underpinned by recent, solid Canadian and U.S. research on advocacy and political influencing of funding and perceptions of the value of public libraries.
• Respectful of your valuable time – every session is a manageable time commitment for you and your colleagues at just 60 minutes each
• Builds your team’s skills over time. We will use webinar and teleconference technology so everyone can participate at as many sites as possible with no big travel commitment.
• Some sessions will include pre-reading or post-session optional exercises.