Learn How to Start a Successful Podcast
“Do you already have a blog, and want to expand into another medium? Then why not start a podcast?
A lot of our Facegroup members have asked questions about starting a podcast, especially about gear, content, engagement, hosting, launching and monetization.
And to help me answer all those questions I called on an expert.
Craig Hewitt is the founder of Podcast Motor and Castos. When Craig started his own podcast, he quickly discovered that audio editing and producing a podcast was a pain. So he started Podcast Motor to help others.
The technicalities of podcasting almost stopped me from starting the ProBlogger podcast. That’s why I turned to Craig and his team to handle them.
Craig shares the nuts and bolts of podcasting:
- Reach existing audience in a different way, or reach an entirely new audience.
- Establish a dedicated hosting platform to store and distribute your media files.
- Differentiate yourself to develop a brand and identity (i.e. your accent).
- Start a podcast with everything you need for less than $100.
- Be comfortable with speaking, and assemble enough content to talk about.
- Identify and prepare guests to be on your podcast.
- Create an intro by recording it yourself or outsourcing it to a voiceover artist.
- Find a room without flat walls and hard spaces to eliminates echoes. (Try a closet).
- Edit audio to match your style (buttoned-up, conversational, etc.)
- Put your podcast on Android and Apple platforms, including Apple Podcast (formerly iTunes), Google Podcast, Stitcher, Spotify, and YouTube.
- Get and grow your audience by getting your podcast listed in search engines. Ask listeners to subscribe, submit a rating/review, and share with others.
- Record five episodes before launching. Then launch with two episodes, plus or minus an Episode 0 that offers a description of what listeners can expect from your podcast.
- Engage your listeners by using a call to action through a link in the podcast audio, or continue a podcast discussion and connect with audience via a Facebook group.
- Metrics don’t really matter. Instead, review popularity, downloads and listening duration.
We covered a lot in this episode, but to get all the details you need to successfully start a podcast sign up for Craig’s free course, Launch In A Week:
- Podcasting Microphone and Gear
- Audio Recording and Editing
- Your Ideal Listener and Podcast Personas
- The Perfect Podcast Recipe
- Media Host and Website Setup
- Getting Your Show Ready to Launch
- Launch Planning and Growing Your Audience
Links and Resources for How to Start a Successful Podcast:
- Podcast Motor
- Launch In A Week
- Seriously Simple Podcasting
- Audio-Technica ATR2100
- Shure SM7B
- Focusrite Scarlett Preamp
- Skype Call Recorder (Mac only)
- International Start a Blog Day Class of 2019
- Pat Flynn’s Podcast
- Tim Ferriss’s Podcast
- Gary Vaynerchuk’s Podcast
- RogueStartups Podcast with co-host Dave Rodenbaugh
- Blue – Yeti
- Apple Podcast
- Google Podcast
- Google Play
- Amy Porterfield’s Podcast
Examples of How to Start a Successful Podcast:
Join our Facebook group.