The National Indigenous Knowledge and Language Alliance (NIKLA) mission is to create an association to unify and amplify the voices of Indigenous Peoples (First Nations, Métis, and Inuit) to network and nurture a community of practice related to Indigenous knowledge, cultural memory, language, and Indigenous ways of knowing, as they relate to culture memory and heritage. FOPL has joined NIKLA as an organizational member as we strive to expand our allyship with First Nations partners, libraries, and cultural institutions.
NIKLA includes 5 core activities, listed constating documents (Charter), in no hierarchical order, are:
- Building a community of practice;
- Public advocacy for Indigenous cultural transmission;
- Professional Development for members;
- Scholarship and Grants [when charitable registry is received]; and
- Unsettling and disrupting existing frameworks and pedagogy.
Learn more about NIKLA on their website, and consider joining: https://www.nikla-ancla.com/