Michael Geist: Canada’s NAFTA IP and E-commerce Priorities: My Appearance Before the Standing Committee on International Trade

Canada’s NAFTA IP and E-commerce Priorities: My Appearance Before the Standing Committee on International Trade Posted: 19 Sep 2017 07:04 AM PDT The House of Commons Standing Committee on International Trade has been conducting hearings on the NAFTA negotiations. I appeared before the committee yesterday on a panel that included the dairy industry, food and beverage sector, and my comments on IP and e-commerce. The MPs showed considerable interest in both IP and e-commerce, asking questions about notice-and-notice, fair use, copyright balance, the public domain, and the privacy implications of the e-commerce chapter.  My opening remarks are posted below. Appearance before the House of Commons Standing Committee on International Trade, September 18, 2017 Good afternoon. My name is Michael Geist.  I am a law professor at the University of Ottawa, where I hold the Canada Research Chair in Internet and E-commerce Law. I appear today in a personal capacity representing only my own views. There is much to say about NAFTA – I have written numerous articles and posts on the agreement – but I have limited time so I’ll focus on the intellectual property chapter with a brief additional comment on the e-commerce chapter. While Canada is accustomed to “playing defence” to U.S. intellectual property demands in trade talks, this round of renegotiation offers the chance to pro-actively ensure that Canadian IP priorities and policies are reflected in the agreement. To place the IP issue in context, over the past five years, Canada has implemented anti-circumvention laws similar to those found in the U.S., added stronger enforcement measures, enacted anti-counterfeiting laws, extended the term of protection for sound...

Minister Joly to Outline a Vision for the Future of Canada’s Creative Industries

Minister Joly to Outline a Vision for the Future of Canada’s Creative Industries Media Advisory From Canadian Heritage OTTAWA – The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage, will deliver a speech on Thursday, September 28, to the Economic Club of Canada to outline a vision for Canada’s cultural and creative industries in a digital world. Representatives from the media are invited to take photographs at the beginning of the event. A media availability will follow Minister Joly’s remarks. There will also be an opportunity to take photographs and b-roll footage at a related event earlier in the day (details to be announced). People from across the country will have the opportunity to follow and contribute to this event through a Facebook Live event, making it possible for Canadians to be involved and engaged. Additional vision speech dates will be announced in due course. Please note that all details are subject to change. All times are local. The details are as follows: DATE: Thursday, September 28, 2017 TIME: 12:00 p.m. PLACE: Fairmont Château Laurier 1 Rideau Street Ottawa, Ontario For more information (media only), please contact: Rachel Rappaport Press Secretary (interim) Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage 819-997-7788 Media Relations Canadian Heritage 819-994-9101 1-866-569-6155...

Young Canada Works Call for Applications – Short Term Jobs

Young Canada Works Call for Applications – Short Term Jobs! Hire a student, for a short term job or co-op experience, any time from now until March 31, 2018! The Canadian Council of Archives is pleased to announce a call for applications for Short Term Jobs, as part of the program Young Canada Works (YCW) in Heritage Organizations. “Short Term Jobs” are similar to “Summer Jobs” but may occur anytime until March 2018. · Up to $8,000 funding available per job · Hiring Conditions: § Minimum of 180 hours to a maximum of 640 hours must be worked during the employment period (minimum of 30 paid working days to a maximum of 80 paid working days). § The short term job must end on March 31st, 2018 at the latest. § Students may work any combination of weekdays and weekends. § The December holiday period may afford students the time to work more hours per week. § Additional accommodations for working hours may be made for students with disabilities. · YCW will pay up to 75% of the student’s wages and benefits, with the employer financially supporting the remaining 25% cost. · Students may also be attending classes (fulltime or part time) during this period, however, they MUST have been enrolled in school prior to beginning work under this initiative and be continuing in school after the work term. Archives (French and/or English operating) and Libraries (operating in English) are now able to apply online for Short Term Job(s) through the Young Canada Works (YCW) in Heritage Organizations via the YCW official web site (https://young-canada-works.canada.ca/Account/Login) Please note: When applying,...